Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Robot Love: For True Fans Only

(She's a robot . . . obviously.)
Chloe had her first dance recital last Saturday.  We were only allowed to videotape the dress rehearsal and Jeff wasn't going to be there for the actual recital, so it was really important that I videotape it.  I pushed the wrong button and missed the whole thing.  Major loss of Mommy Points.

Robot curtain call with instructor, Miss Grace.
This recital was just for the younger dance classes (ages 3-7) and as I watched the rehearsal I couldn't help but think of what my dad said when he came and watched Chloe's dance class.  "Some of those parents are just throwing their money away."  It was the most tedious rehearsal I've ever sat through. 

The actual recital included performances by all of the dance instructors at the studio.  The teachers all gave technically correct and heartfelt performances.  Nobody cared (including me).  We all sat there thinking, "When is this real dance going to end?  Bring back those three year olds that just stand there and wave!"  It was just like the end of The Music Man where the River City Boys' Band plays the Minuet in G for the first time.  "Linus!  Play to me son!  Play to me!"

Her costume was pretty trashed by the end of the performance.  They gave each dancer a plastic medal that said "Winner."  She wore it for two days straight.

At the beginning of the recital, the studio owner got up and reminded everyone that recording the show was strictly prohibited because it's really annoying for the people around you.  Annoying?  Not illegal?  Hello, loophole!  I knew it was important for Jeff to see Chloe dance and for Chloe to see herself, so I discreetly recorded her dance.  It's THE WORST VIDEO EVER RECORDED and if you are not one of Chloe's grandparents, you need not bother.  It really is for true fans, only.  (Note to true fans: she's the one on the left end.)
I was really proud of Chloe.  She wasn't nervous at all in front of all of those people.  She remembered her moves and totally rocked that ridiculous costume.  I never could have done that at her age.  She's the wind beneath my wings.

Also the wind beneath Harrison's batwings.

14 Wisecracks:

Patti said...

I'm so glad I'm one of the grandma's! That was ADORABLE, and good dance moves too! A dancing queen is born! Great job Chloe!

Mom said...

She's darling! Definitely the cutest one and your money is not being wasted.:) I'm proud to be one of the grandmas too!

wendy holt said...

I watched the video even though you told me not to. She was great! She really IS a WINNER!!

melissa said...

Thank you so much for watching Miles so we could watch my winning daughter, Wendy!

Nicole said...

Dad should be a judge on American Idol. Even with all those crazy rules and backstage drama, Chloe could perform and do well! What a hero!! I couldn't have done it at her age either. :)

Annie Jarman said...

Oh wow. I mean, really, wow. You weren't kidding about the costume. I'm so distracted by the costume that I didn't watch the video, which I totally plan to do because I am a True Fan of Chloe.

Robots?! Little girls are supposed to be butterflies or princesses or flowers! ROBOTS?! AND you get to keep it! Lucky you!

Annie Jarman said...

She was adorable!! Loved that she had to help her little partner. :) Can't wait to see more!

melissa said...

RIGHT?! You should have seen how absolutely adorable all the other costumes were. There were two little boys in her class, though, so I'm not sure butterflies, princesses, or flowers would have gone over well with them.

Unknown said...

Way to go Chloe! She's the prettiest darn robot I've ever seen. Love the silver hair.

allyn said...

i thought she was going for rainbow bright when i first saw the picture. how could chloe be anything but adorable and perfect?
i also watched the "film". you are so that friend of kramer's who bootlegs with heads in the filming. jeff, i am sure, was appreciative.

Eliza said...

Chloe looks so pretty! That sounds like the same kind of rules and regulations that Eliza and Vivien's dance studio had with the recording and all. What song did she dance to? Electric Avenue? Domo Morigato, Mr. Robato?

melissa said...

Weirdness. Blogger was down for a whole day and now all of my comments are gone. For those of you who left comments on this earlier, know that I read them and told Chloe how much you enjoyed the video I told you not to watch.

Jen said...

I read this twice and laughed out loud both times. Chloe is a great sport and she looks adorable!

Linzi Lou, Samantha Boo, Madi Moo, and Chris too said...

One question: can you make me an outfit like that?